University Policies, Procedures, and Contacts

Help With ...
Submit Case
Contact Us
sunset behind shalala center sunset behind shalala center


University of Miami VA Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:

  • Prevent the student's enrollment
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class
  • Provide a written request to be certified
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

Financial Aid

Standard of Academic Progress

The Standards of Academic Progress may be found at  The standards vary depending on which aid programs you receive. In general, if you have met the academic progress requirement during the fall semester and are forced to withdraw in the Spring Semester due to military service, you would be considered to have met the academic progress requirements for financial aid. A copy of your orders may be required. If requested, please provide them as soon as possible.

Student Loan Repayment

Federal Stafford and most private loans have grace periods of 6 months and Federal Perkins Loans have a grace period of 9 months after you graduate or stop attending school at least half time.

For Federal Stafford and private student loans, you must contact the lender about options to postpone payment while on active duty. Most University of Miami student loans are held by Sallie Mae. Information may be found on their website at or by calling 1‐888‐2‐Sallie.

Federal Perkins Loans are held by the school that awarded you the funds. You must contact them directly for options to postpone your payments. If your Perkins Loan is from the University of Miami, call (305) 284‐6430 option #4 for assistance.

Military Withdrawal

Withdrawal Procedures

Undergraduate students wishing to officially withdraw from the University of Miami must contact the ‘Canes Success Center. The ‘Cane Success Center is located in “The Nest,” 2nd Floor of the University Center, Suite 2275.   They can also be contacted at 305-284‐4500 or by email at Initial notification may be made in person, in writing or by telephone. This notification will be recorded and used for notification purposes for the Federal Government. Repayment of any federal funds will be based on the date of notification. Students must also follow the required process as set forth in the Undergraduate Withdrawing Student Policy.  

Students must also follow the required process as set forth in the Undergraduate Withdrawing Student Policy.  The policy can be found online at  

Graduate students should notify the Veterans Certifying Official in the Office of the University Registrar if they need a military withdrawal.  The Veterans Certifying Official can be contacted at 305‐284‐8682 or at  

Tuition Refund and Return of Financial Aid

Tuition refunds of 100% are granted to students who withdraw due to military service, provided they do not receive credit for the course (see below under "Credit for Courses After the 12th Week of the Semester").

If you receive federal financial aid (Title IV Funds) and withdraw before you complete 60% of the semester, a pro rata calculation will determine the amount of financial aid you have earned. It is based on the amount of time you were enrolled and the date of notification. This calculation is independent of any charges incurred at the university.

The full refund policy may be found at and in the University’s Academic Bulletin

Housing and Meal Plan Charges

Students need to contact the Department of Residence Halls (305) 284‐4505 and/or Dining Services (305) 284‐3584 regarding canceling their housing and/or meal plan contract.

You will be charged a prorated amount for both the housing and meal plan based on the time you cancel the contract. Students who withdraw due to military service will not be charged the normal contract cancellation fees.