Social Security

Students who need to update or correct their social security number must request this change in writing and provide documentation to the Office of the University Registrar.

Request Form

Acceptable Documentation

  • Documents verifying a social security number must be original, legal documents or certified copies.
    • The name on record must match that on the social security card.
  • A photo ID (Passport OR Driver’s License) must accompany the social security card. The name on the social security card must match the name on the passport or the birth certificate.

International Students

  • An international student who does not yet have a social security card but needs to work, may request a letter from Social Security.

  • The original letter must be presented to the Office of the Registrar until the social security card is issued.
  • If this letter is used, a stop will be placed on your student record until the card is received.
  • You will not be able to register, receive diplomas or transcripts until the card is received and the stop is removed.

International students who are NOT able to obtain a social security number

  • International students who are not able to obtain a social security number may end up with an individual tax identification number (ITIN) in order to get paid. 
  • You must present the original ITIN card to the Office of the Registrar.