Readmission Information

Help With ...
Submit Case
Contact Us

Readmission Process for Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students who have not attended the University for at least one major semester (Fall or Spring) are required to submit a Readmission Application no later than two weeks before the beginning of classes of the semester they wish to re-enroll. Please refer to the "Deadline for Readmission" date on the Academic Calendar of the semester applying for.

  1. Submit a completed Readmission Application.

  2. A Registration Specialist will review the readmission application, charge a non-refundable fee of $100.00 (payable by credit card or check), and submit it to the Dean of the School/College the student is applying to only if there are not any Student Account Services holds.

  3. If the student has a Student Account Services hold on their account, it must be cleared for eligibility of readmission before it can be submitted to the Dean of School/College.

  4. The Dean of School/College will evaluate and determine the students’ readmission eligibility and advise the Registration Specialist.

  5. The Registration Specialist will notify the student and the School/College via email of the student’s eligibility to readmit for the semester. Once the student receives the email confirmation, they can enroll in classes through CaneLink or work with their academic advisors to enroll. Original class schedule is not guaranteed.

Please note: 

Readmission to the University is contingent upon approval of the Dean of the School/College the student is applying to and clearance from the Office of Student Account Services.

International students: Your Form I-20 and F-1 visa are no longer valid if you have withdrawn from the University. In order to enter the U.S. in F-1 status to resume your studies at the University of Miami, you must request a new Form I-20 from the Department of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at, pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) I-901 Fee, and obtain an F-1 visa prior to entering the US up to (but no earlier than) 30 days before, but no later than the program start date indicated on your I-20. Please click here for more information.

Students who have attended another college or university since they were last enrolled at the University of Miami will be required to provide a transcript of their credits. Failure to disclose all prior institutions attended may result in disciplinary action.

An undergraduate student, who has applied to graduate school for a given semester, will not be eligible to register for any subsequent semester until the student applies for readmission or admission to a new program. A candidate for graduation may wish to continue his/her studies in one of the following situations:

If the student fails to graduate and further registration is needed, they must delete their application for graduation in CaneLink within twenty-four hours and registration for subsequent semesters or sessions should become available. Students should contact Canes Central for assistance.

If the student graduates and wishes to pursue a second bachelor’s degree, the student must apply for readmission, stating his/her new degree objective.  If the student graduates and wishes to take additional course work without a degree objective, the student must apply for unclassified status. Proof of immunization must be provided to the Student Health Service before readmission to the University of Miami. Failure to do so may prevent you from registering for classes.

Readmission Process for Graduate Students

The readmission process for graduate students differs from the readmission process for undergraduate students. Students seeking readmission to a graduate program must adhere to the readmission policy posted in the Academic Bulletin.  Students are encouraged to contact the Graduate School for questions and guidance on the readmission policy and process.